Tuesday, April 24, 2012

Kit-Kat Densetsu: Yubari Melon « GameSpite.net – Verbal Spew

I sure haven’t done one of these in a while. I need to write about these, uh, two dozen different Japanese Kit-Kat flavor variants I’ve stored up before they go bad.

So let’s talk about this one: Yubari Melon, a regional exclusive flavor from Hokkaido. I don’t know Japan super well, but my impression is that Hokkaido is one of those antipodes areas where people are more likely to visit than live. I assume this is why the box these mini candy bars come in has been designed to be mailed: The back of the box resembles a post card, though I doubt you can ship half a dozen chocolate bars for standard postcard rate even in a crazy Future Land like Japan.

These Kit-Kats, like so many from Japan, are hit-or-miss. My wife was unimpressed with the flavor, because melon and dark chocolate aren’t a good combo for her. On the other hand, I love chocolate and melon, although I prefer actual melon as opposed to artificial melon flavor. Then again, if this were real fruit, it would have gone pretty rancid in the 18 months I’ve had this box sitting around waiting for evaluation.

I think a lot of my like for this particular flavor stems from the fact that I expected a melon Kit-Kat to be some kind of nasty, heavily perfumed white chocolate abomination. Since it combines the fruit flavor with rich dark chocolate instead of white chocolate, it’s delicious rather than tooth-achingly sweet.

Well done, Hokkaido. If I ever visit you, I will totally mail these things to everyone I know while I’m there. Well, everyone except my wife.

0 comments:

Post a Comment